The following two courses prepare candidates for NPTC assessment / certification. This is carried out on a seperate day.
Tractor Mounted Sprayer (PA1 & PA2)
Knapsack Sprayer (PA1 & PA6)
Topics covered are:
- The requirements in detail of current legislation
- Using/applying pesticides appropriately, safely and efficiently
- Keeping proper records
- Storing pesticides correctly
- Cleaning equipment
- Disposing of unwanted pesticides and containers
- Dealing with contamination and poisoning incidents.
- Identifying and selecting appropriate nozzles or restrictors
- Preparing and calibrating the equipment
- Operating the equipment in compliance with current legislation and codes of practice
- Identifying and rectifying faults
- Recognising conditions when spraying is inadvisable.
Each course comprises a common core plus sections specific to the particular species of vermin
The common core content is:
- knowledge of the target vermin
- control methods
- the implications of legislation relevant to the vermin, the protection of people and the prevention of pollution
- understanding pesticide product labels and health and safety information
- storing and transporting pesticides
- disposing of unwanted pesticide and residues
- site work
- follow-up procedures.
Combined Vermin Control (Rabbits / moles)
The sections specific to rabbits and moles are:
- the implications of legislation relevant to the use of vertebrate pest control products
- records relevant to rodenticide use
- records relevant to vertebrate pest control product use
- site work with aluminium phosphide tablets and sodium cyanide – spoon, pump and engine-driven pump methods.
- site work with aluminium phosphide tablets and strychnine hydochloride.
Combined Vermin Control (Rats / mice)
The sections specific to rats and mice are:
- the implications of legislation relevant to the use of rodenticides
- records relevant to rodenticide use.